April 2022: After years of neglect, it's time to put this page in order somewhat.
My interest in all things maritime- and naval-related stems from my Dad's interest. At some point he started ship modelling, but due to low availabilty - no Internet back then! - and a couple of moves he kind of gave it up. However, I've got him a Revell Vasa kit two years ago and he built it to quite a good standard.
I'm a scratchbuilder by trade, because it is way cheaper and requires more creative effort, which I revel in. During the more than ten years I've been running this blog, there were a multitude of naval-related undertakings.
The test bed for this was a LEGO project at first, after which the 'In the Navy' battles followed. These were fun games I remember fondly, and wish to return to the basic concepts soon.
The first larger undertaking with actual models has begun along with my growing interest in the pre-dreadnought period. I built some simple balsa models, followed by more elaborate ones, in 1/600 scale. Then, after skipping out for a while, I started building WW1 battle fleets in 1/2000 scale. There was the occasional sailing ship and larger vessel too. All in all, ships never really left my circle of interest.
My plans for the future include: completing a 1/700 scale IJN Kongo (WW2 iteration), an 1/700 USS Arizona (as she appeared in 1931), an 1/700 scale scratchbuilt Bretagne from the mid '30s, and acquiring the full hull 1/700 scale model of the SMS Derfflinger. In general, I would also like to improve my model painting and building skills, the Arizona project is mostly about that.
You can find all blog posts labelled 'naval' here; and all posts labelled 'scratchbuild' here. (Warning! May contain terrain and other things)
Here are some links to blog posts I assume to be more interesting than a few others:
1/600 scale waterline model of the battleship Viribus Unitis
A kitbashed Revell 1/1200 King George V
My 1/1000 scale scratchbuilt waterline model of the French battleship Bretagne - it was wrong in a few aspects, but I intend to remedy that with the next iteration.