Sep 28, 2019

SMS Viribus Unitis - Complete


I still owe you all a photo report about the complete model, so here it is. This was a great challenge for me and I tried a bunch of new techniques, but I think the end product justifies it all.

This was my August hobby project, but I had other issues to deal with in September, so the next one will probably be for next month. I'm building a bunch of smaller ships until then - a bottle model of SMS Zenta is complete, and now I'm working on the German Derfflinger-class battlecruisers in 1/2000 scale.

Here it is, please enjoy the pictures.






The bow is still somewhat too round despite the hollow grind, maybe a belt sander could help this but that's currently out of my league.




I've had some trouble with the torpedo net, I think next time I will do it differently, for example I would soak the entire thing in PVA and let it dry before gluing it on so it would not shed smaller fibres.


Here's a close-up of the crew and the bridge.


The Viribus Unitis and her sister ships look really great and I think the model conveys all of her qualities nicely.


Hope this was worth the wait - stay related for more navy-related things.

6 comments: