Feb 28, 2015

Victory Without Quarter - TYW


In this struggle five Swedish regiments were trying to break an Imperial defense line. The ground was flat with a forest on the Swedish right and two hills on the defenders' side.
Both forces had five regiments of foot and two commanders. The Swedes had one unit classified as elite and two regimental guns while the Imperials had a heavy gun and a four-stand unit instead of the usual three. The Imperials also stood in a squarish formation, which, like the pike stand, allowed shooting in all directions with a reduced die roll. 
Army characteristics: the Swedes' opening salvo received a +2 on short distance instead of +1 while the Imperials could use a free 'maneuver' order each turn.

Feb 25, 2015

Naval battle


A brief battle done two weeks ago to get in that naval mood for the big ships - since I've completed these small ones they saw very little action. 
The setting is still the Fleet Grey vs. Fleet Green world and new campaign events are unfolding:

Feb 23, 2015

The finished products


The pocket cruiser and Os'Rhai class battleship are ready to steam on the high seas.

Feb 21, 2015

Pre-dreadnought step by step

For some reason I always liked ships. Big sailing ships, mostly. Which is quite unfortunate in a landlocked country. But since a very young age I built all sorts of ships. I played the battle of Trafalgar with the folded A4 paper sheet ships. I had the Airfix Victory and a bunch of WW2 warships with a very sloppy enamel paint job. My dad has had a number of books and plans for model ship building but he never really got into it. I still have three of those books on my shelf and huge blueprints for the frigate USS Constitution.
And now I have the skill, time, money and materials to build ships - my sailing ship project is stalling but these pre-dreadnoughts are very easy to build. I'm also planning on building the SMS Weissland for Nova Hungaria and a Ruslander/Agytpian warship. For now I'll stick to small scale though.
So this post (lots of pictures!) illustrates my current process with a battleship, in this case a Jackewlinese capital ship.

The preface done, let's cut to work. By cutting I mean literally. I measured two blocks on the 8mm balsa piece, roughly 32mm wide and over 18cm long. Some space left between the two pieces: one of the key points of this stage is to be generous with measurements as I'm going to be sanding a lot.


The steel ruler is to cut straight with the grain and the blue marker leaves visible lines so I'm using that.

Feb 19, 2015

Ortosilian Garda de Pie + Light infantry


And not that pie! These are Zvezda figures and an Italeri officer for the South American nation of Ortosilia. Inspired by the uniforms of Kleve-Berg, and you could see some snapshots in an earlier post, but here they are with complete bases, 20 figures plus command.

Feb 17, 2015

Purchase history, February

I managed to restrain myself this month and focus on the woodworking project. The point of this project is, again, to do it as cheap as possible.

6mm and 8mm balsa wood
PVA
sandpaper
plus three bottles of Vallejo paints.

In March I will most likely return to the Thirty Years War in 1/72. I will also have to buy cheap brushes and good alike.

I'm currently working on a detailed rule set for the pre-dreadnoughts as I found nothing to my liking.

Feb 15, 2015

More ships...


A pair of monitors and a commerce vessel to complement the battleships. The one on the left is based on the Leitha, at least to such a degree of detail as the scale and my humble skills allow. The liner (if it is one?) is built differently from the warships as the sides are covered with card. This also meant the hull required less work - the wooden surface being covered there was no need to smoothen it like on the previous ones.


To scale with the Rhealla, the monitors are really dwarfed by the large seafaring units. 
I needed some light ones too and monitors seemed an ideal build - the hull in this case is plasticard while the turrets are made from an old brush handle that was thicker than the 6mm diameter plastic pieces I used for the stacks. The funnels on the monitors were another cause of concern because the sprue rubble I used for the larger ships was too thick. In the end I used a flag pole from the Zvezda Samurai Battles boxes, something I highly doubt will ever use.

Paintjobs are the usual white primer - block - shade - highlight. The cream on the decks is actually a lot brighter than the first coat but it looks just right. In these cases I only leave shaded areas at the joints and recesses, otherwise everything receives a second coat. Also while on figures I use a medium gray+shade (without highlights) for black, these large surfaces never receive shading but a second coat with some grey or white added to the black.

Feb 11, 2015

Big Bad Battleships


The second and third pre-dreadnought battleships enter service, the Jackewlinese JRS Rhealla, founder of her class, and the Veudeni Alh'Tid. The Rhealla was actually where it all started as she's modelled after a Russian battleship and proportions etc. come from these original plans. 

Feb 8, 2015

Cruisers


I went to the painting & home decor shop and bought some 1000 grit sandpaper. Proper tools and methods ease working on these ships a lot. I'm getting the knack of it now, so here are a pair of cruisers, Veudeni on the left and Jackewlinese on the right - as I'm not planning to add flags the distinct hull colour was an obvious choice, bright grey/white vs. black. The paint jobs are, as opposed to the first pre-dreadnought, just two or three similar layers over a white basecoat. For the white ships I'm still considering adding a thin wash.