Jun 16, 2024

Derfflinger Details

I'm building a Snowman Model 1/700 SMS Derfflinger, the post-Jutland version. Here are some reference pictures - mostly so I could find them, but it might interest others.

I'm not sure of the images' sources as I've collected way too many of them to keep track, but being period photos more than a hundred years old, I don't believe that would cause any copyright hassle.


This is an aerial photo made just after Jutland I believe. It is important for two things: this is the only period photo I could find where the aerial recognition rings on all the turrets are visible, and the damage made to the aft section can also be seen (this was planked over later, but the new boards used for the job remained dark for a while). I can safely extrapolate and say that A and D turret had a narrower, B and C a thicker white ring, and this remained in use later.


This is the image I'm mostly after, except I added magic sculpt blast bags to the main battery, because the brass barrels did not quite fit snugly so I had to cover their ends. Photos made later (with the much more pronounced tripod), especially those during her internment show blast bags, but none before, so it must have been added later, but I will overlook this inaccuracy for aesthetic reasons.

Also, the kit has torpedo booms and nets, but it is very obvious that by the time of this photo it fell completely out of use.



Here's a thing that is not shown on period pictures and is rather hard to decide. The painting instructions that came with the kit, and also most non-period references (of other models also) show a boot top (the black band near the waterline, above the anti-fouling red). However, here's a picture of Seydlitz which is rather clear on the fact that she drew a lot deeper than the level of the anti-fouling paint (see the line of chipped off grey above it), and had no boot top. It is safe to assume that belonging to the same unit within the Hochseeflotte, the Derfflinger was painted using the same method - or at least that 's what I will do with mine. Dark red and black are pretty difficult to discern from black and white photos anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment