Mar 16, 2021

Arca d'Imperatrice Schiavona

 


This is the flagship of the private war fleet belonging to the House of Schiavona. It's a 1/600 scale model of the galeon La Couronne, which I believe is no longer in production - I found it in a modeling thrift store-like business.

The ship herself is quite old, but the name is new - all of her hull has been repaired and modified, resulting in a fighting ship of 74 cannon. The name signifies the imperial ambitions of the leader of Quattro Formaggi, Beatrice Schiavona. The Formaggians do not customarily name kings and queens - emperors and empresses, however, are a different business. With rebellion raging in the North and the Kingdom of Glambria already claiming much of Western Formaggia, something needs to happen that changes the game. Refurbishing an old galeon and naming it in such a way might just be that thing.


I've built this same model before, turning it into a modest Protestant warship. Now I went over the top with the decorations - the dark green and golden yellow are a matching pair, I think. All the plastic masts and sails had been replaced, and a semblance of rigging was introduced.


4 comments:

  1. I have built a model of the same vessel. I kept the original sails, rather liking their being rigged as thought the ship was broad reaching. Unfortunately, it was rather wrecked in the earthquakes in this city 10 years ago. I've not yet got around to effecting the repairs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment - the plastic sails look very fine, but they would just look out of place as all of my ships in this scale have canvas ones. I have thought about attaching the lateen sail and topgallants to a smaller vessel though.

      Delete