Aug 4, 2019

SMS Viribus Unitis WIP #1


I've started this build today. This is the biggest ship project I've done since the Mikasa, and she was a lot smaller than this dreadnought, so I thought it would be interesting to keep a diary.

I printed out six copies of the blueprints to the exact measurements of the model. Then I measured some stuff and took notes on the first blueprint. This will be used for reference later. I keep some blueprints blank for measurement and clear visibility, but some will be cut out for templates.




I've organized my brushes and tools in two containers. As you can see I have some tweezers and a pin vice now. The pin vice is small so it required a smaller container. I've also bought wood filler and new paints. The Ikea brush is only there for the bristles though.


A set of new cheapo rulers. I measure with these and use the steel one for cutting only.


A box with assorted scratchbuilding stuff. Coins, washers, toothpicks, kebab sticks, strips of plasticard and balsa.


The hull will be made of a 6mm bottom, 5mm middle and 1mm top section. For this I cut out one of the plans and clamp it to the board to trace it. Then I trim the parts not required for the upper layers, this saves me some extra blueprints. Once all three pieces are traced, I'll start trimming then sanding the excess wood.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to how this comes out András, good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon I'll be following this tutorial as well. I recently made a gunboat for riverine operations (yet to appear on my own blog spot). But I'm starting to fell more ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find it useful, I'll be checking your gunboat out once you publish it.

      Delete