Oct 5, 2023

Further Naval Thoughts

While thinking about the logical execution of my plans about upgrading my 1/500ish scale sailing warships, I came to some conclusions. This is entertaining for me in an odd way, because a real-world 17th to 18th century naval power would be scraping for resources much the same way as I do now, I believe. So, although there are projections to buy new hulls into the fleet, there is much to do to re-work and re-rig old ones.

Currently I have the following vessels and the following plans with them:

Have to update the rigging and sea base only:

  • Dryckynd, scratchbuilt Duch-style 80-gun (not yet shown here, although really proud of this one)
  • Nuestra Senhora Santa Maria, ex-Revell Victory
  • Le Flaumberge, a Revell Spanish Galleon conversion (perhaps a lick of paint too)
  • Arca d'Imperatrice Schiavona, a Heller La Couronne conversion
  • 3D-printed frigates (perhaps with a full rig on the hull 'in ordinary')
  • Tajni Mölyem and Dachshund
  • Galleys

Needs major refurbishment along with rigging & basing:

  • two Revell Spanish Galleon hulls, the Konung Harald and the Dreichend
  • La Pépé, a Heller La Couronne conversion
Most of this involves dusting them off, adding more detailed gunports, working on the prows, raising quarterdecks etc. I'm really sorry I can't get more of the Revell Galleon because it is a great conversion material, and I'm more of a kitbasher/scratchbuilder guy at heart, however comfortable 3D printing is.

A total rebuild is required:

  • HMS Worcester, scratchbuilt

WIP:

  • A 3D printed 74, has only got the masts installed
In the pipeline:
  • I would like more smaller (5th, 6th or unrated) vessels to go with ships of the line
  • I've also got the file for the San José, which I think I'll have printed shortly (or scale the ADW frigate up which failed to print the last time)

I'm also thinking about a universal paint scheme and interchangeable banners, so most ships could be used as parts of different forces. This does not affect the Insolencian ships with their red sides, I like those too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment