I finished this Zvezda model recently, although it sat in my cupboard for a while. It usually takes more time to finish one of these 1/350 scale models, because each step in the build requires a different kind of focus.
I chose a simple wooden paint scheme instead of a more decorative one, it's an orange brown theme with darker rubbing strakes and an oil wash to finish it off. Most of the time completing the model was spent on waiting for the layers of protective clear coat and oil wash to dry.
The masts, yards and sails are sractchbuilt, the ones which come with the kit are way too flimsy for wargaming purposes, even though Zvezda tries to sell this as a wargaming piece.
Similarly, I kept adding some extra black and beige thread for rigging, but not anything very complicated. I kept the injection-moulded lower shrouds because they provide further rigidity to the masts and don't look very much out of place.
She also has some crew on board, which are just blobs of MAXX Putty. I ordered 1/350 scale crew for the Aurora so I might experiment with those.
I have a completed Spanish Galleon, a Zvezda Revenge, and got another Golden Hind and a Revell galleon (misnamed galleass) for cheap on Vinted, so I'll be able to play a few games in the foreseeable future.




Beautifully done.
ReplyDeleteThank you Michael!
ReplyDelete