First, PSA: I made a separate label just for this project for easier searching.
Second, lately it has become a trait of local politicians to voice that 'we are responsible politicians, we believe in transparency, admit our mistakes and stand up to correct them.' As if that's something to be praised and not just plain normal.
So it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that when I removed the masking tape from the upper hull, it tore off a bit of paint at the waterline. But as a responsible modeller, I believe in transparency and while documenting this project, I admit my mistakes. (Here's where the audience should clap.)
Anyway, nothing a quick primer and a lick of paint don't fix.
Varnish added, nothing to see here, move along. Any differences in shading will be negated by the Great Unifier (e.g. oil wash).
While working on the upper hull I made this drydock/cradle/thing to not mess up the paintjob on the bottom. The varnish and wash still hadn't fully cured, so I guess I must go over it one more time to clean up specks of dust and seal it properly, but as the upper hull also requires varnishing, it's small business.
I covered the waterline with 6mm masking tape, three layers of it, and got to working on the upper hull. The basecoat is white grey, over which goes a neutral grey oil wash, a streaking with the same white grey acrylic, and some rust effects with oxide red oils.
As learned from the Nagato build, and especially considering the bright upper hull, moderation is key when applying rust. The ship is represented in its form right after fitting out, so it should be relatively clean and well kept.
Dotting in the windows on the deck with silver metallic.
The final product looks rather tasteful if I say so myself. There was minimal bleeding over around the masking tape, a cotton swab dozed in a bit of turpentine removed it perfectly.
Under the hood she goes to cure for another one or two weeks before the wooden deck is added. (The display case is required to keep away cat's hair, which is abundant in this household. Judging solely by the quantity, sometimes I wonder if we have a spare cat I don't know about.)







No comments:
Post a Comment