Oct 7, 2024

Flossian Union Foot Battalions


The lesson of this post is that the most important thing about painting miniatures is not to stress oneself out over the matter. It is a leisure activity after all, and the great majority of us don't paint for a living. 

I found out that I still had more than five hundred(!) 1/72 eighteenth century figures from various produce, and since I sort of hit a painter's block with my TYW/ECW collection, these came in handy for a change. Some were painted and needed touching up only, some were primed and some just bare plastic. 

I did not really have a plan for them, until I made the mental connection with my Schultze-Böhnstadt Imagi-Nations setting, so here they are, three dozen figures in three battalions of the Flossian Union: a regular fusilier, a mercenary Glambrian and a local militia unit.


There's not much to tell about the painting: I went with my usual method of priming, blocking in the details, giving them a dark brown wash then picking out some highlighted areas. Things that look half done on a 28mm figure will just be good enough on a 1/72 one from three feet's distance. 


I based them for Maurice, the long time plan being two bases should constitute one unit, but until then, a 1:1 ratio applies. The bases are very resonabe 9x5,5cm sized ones, which seems odd until you realize I calculated for four files in three ranks, and each figure has about 4 square centimeters of generous footprint to allow different arrangement on the bases (which are themselves foamboard covered with sand and PVA). 

When I commenced my feeble exploits in wargaming a lot of time ago, my initial foot battalions were also 12-figure strong, which I think is a good number to represent depth and width while saving tabletop space, so this is sort of a reach back to those olden days.

No comments:

Post a Comment