Apr 14, 2020

MNF Bretagne WIP #5


This is the current status of the Bretagne, the ship is complete by my standards, and the suffering with the base continues. 
I have finished her paintjob a while back, but when I turned to rigging, I found that the matte varnish had raised some surfaces and I was not really happy with the bright grey colour, so I did another few layers on the sooty/black surfaces, the bridge platforms and the hull. 
The rigging is quite simplistic, but I could just not bear the sight of bare masts at this relatively large scale (at least compared to 1/2000 which is my standard scale for wargaming models).
The deck is a dark teak, on period photos the contrast with the bright grey hull is very visible. I also had to re-do the rangefinder on the second turret, and some barrels on the secondary battery.

I've restarted the sea base three times until I came to an adequate solution, this is hard foamboard, where the ship's bottom was cut, then filled out, so the waves end where the hull begins. This is a really frustrating part and I should read more about more proper ways around it.

I've also finished Nagato and Mutsu in 1/2000, so stay tuned for their debut, and most probably I'll do the Amagis and Tosas in the near future... problem is I'm running out of storage space for my ships!

2 comments: