Jan 2, 2019

Constructing The Rock


Building this island fortress is my hobby project for January. When I prepare for something similar, I make detailed drawings until I have a working concept of the thing. In the meantime, I can have some ideas about execution as well.

The island should be about 50-60cm in diameter so it would fit a 4x4' table with enough space for approaching vessels.

The first thing I had to do was look at the photos taken from the game where I used makeshift objects to build the island, and think about recreating these objects for the tabletop.
  • The islands and sand banks will be made of pink foam.
  • The structures on the fortress will be created with a composite technique, balsa wood core and corkboard outer layer. Corkboard looks very much like stone/brick structures and I had used it in smaller quantity when making buildings for the Neue Böhnstadt colony, the concept is the same.
  • The rock itself will be made from pink foam and will have a built-in dungeon where prisoners would be held. This means I can spare some foam for later. I would cover the outside of the rock with snow paste, bits of rock, tree bark and various other stuff. (The snow paste I bought is more like pumice and I mostly used it to fill out figures' bases instead of its real purpose)
  • The gun emplacement on the smaller island will most likely be built out of pink foam bricks instead of balsa because the rounded form is easier to do this way.
  • The piers and the wooden decking of the port will be made from balsa strips.

So the project now has multiple main pieces that shall be handled and stored separately.
  • Three low sand banks
  • The base of the main island
  • The base of the smaller island
  • The small farm
  • The port and separate buildings (can be multiple pieces)
  • The rotunda
  • The fort (with separate walls so it could be a stand-alone structure)
  • The barracks
  • The rock itself
  • The keep on top of the rock
  • The surrounding walls on top of the rock
  • Two staircases
  • A bridge
  • I'm also building a pair of small ships for the siege.

Improvements made from the original gaming table:
  • The upper tier of the fortifications has a gun emplacement which can cover approaches the rotunda cannot. It should have a pair of smaller guns. 
  • The dungeon cut into the rock was not originally there.
  • The fortress is a fortress and not just an upper tier. It can only be approached from the port.
  • There is a small ledge on the island on the western side where a few palm trees can be placed.

2 comments: