Jan 1, 2019

Looking back - looking forward

2018 was a rather hectic year and I wish to take on this new one with a more conscious attitude. This means regulating my hobby time and having a certain project commenced and finished each month.

In this year, I will make a complete inventory of my hobby stores and probably upload it so you all could see.

Looking back at my goals for this year:
  • 1/72 merchant ship - this was a success
  • Jungle terrain and colonial buildings - jungle terrain is complete, colonial buildings were done for another part of the colonies (see the Schultze-Böhnstadt blog for details)
  • 6mm Italian Wars - the project stalled after finishing much of the army, but I have the rules and a few more very small scale units so I could as well just start playing (and expand it to fantasy stuff)
  • More diverse 6mm terrain - nope, and very little 6mm gaming at all.
  • Finishing the Revell SYW stuff I got for the Christmas previous - well under way but there's still some things to do.
  • Getting the Secret Project completed - I have the figure count but not most of the terrain, and maintaining a large enough table is somewhat of a problem not even playing at a club could solve (I scaled the map to a 150x200cm or 5'x8' table).

Which is not bad all things given, but not too good either. What we learned from this is that one has to set reachable goals in both the short and long term in order to succeed. Hobby goals shall be able to guide you and stick with a project even if you stall. This is why having multiple projects, both small and large scale, simultaneously, might be a good idea - you can always turn to one if the other one stalls. I'm rather hectic in the choice of projects and whatnot, but this keeps me going at my pace and enjoy it. The problem is, as the lack of regular posts suggests, free time, but I think with a little management it can get better.


With this out of the way, let's see what 2019 holds for me.


Smaller projects:
  • Keep the Neue Böhnstadt colony growing
  • In January, the end goal is the Siege of La Rocca, which was a makeshift setup in one of my S-B skirmish games. I want to finalize it with quality terrain and buildings. Has to be modular, of course. This includes building a fresh pair of warships as well. (I'll visit a department store tomorrow and see if I could find the right materials.)

Larger projects:
  • Expanding the 1/72 18th century army
  • Building more terrain and more dioramas
  • Finishing most of the unpainted Napoleonic stuff I have
  • Rebasing (and maybe repainting) the 15mm WW2 infantry



3 comments: