Jan 3, 2019

Constructing The Rock pt. 2 - Scale

So the hardest part is to decide from the line drawing what scale should each component be. Based on the photos, the entire island is about three times as large as the attacking pirate ship, and the ship is about 25cm in total length (10" for more conservative people). 
I've made the mistake of just starting to cut out the base from pink foam and then of course everything turned out to be too small. Don't worry, I can still use these foam pieces for other stuff such as building the rock face itself.

The better solution is to work the other way around and create the smallest components first, and scale everything to those. The two smallest parts are the keep and barracks. Neither are extremely large but I thought about making them larger than the originals (they were just a hut and a ruined building). This means there's more space for a skirmish or small tactical game. Once these two are complete, I can measure everything both to them and the 4'x4' table I have. I won't mind building a larger island that can be used for other games.

Here's an explosion drawing of all the components in a 3D plan:


Although the keep and surrounding walls are on the same base, the keep will be separate so the dungeon carved in the rock could be reached. I can also make a 'side entrance' to the rock face and both could be removed independently, which would be quite cool. 

I think I have a revolutionary way to make the ruined keep, stay tuned for the next episode.


No comments:

Post a Comment