Good news is I finished this set - the guns and figures are based. The acrylic varnish holding static grass still hasn't dried at places but I had to take some photos because the battery recharger still hasn't been found - these are the bad news. I could take only two photos before the batteries failed.
I used some Vallejo inks on the figures - while the finish is still too glossy (and I am not happy about it - maybe it's the varnish after all and not the black paint ingredient) they look proper at least. I'm still unsure about using washes but these ones (namely Sepia and Umber shades) work well and ease the process a lot.