Sep 19, 2020

Metamorphosis Pt 3


Work stalled on the galleys and the Victory somewhat, but after a bit of rest, I had the motivation to do something again, so I pulled another Revell 1/450 Spanish Galeon out from the bottom of the trash heap on my workbench. I am kind of fascinated by Baroque warships, a lot more so than the later ones at the moment, so I decided to build her to those lines.

Thus was born Le Flaumberge, the Kingdom of Glambria's 60-gun ship of the line. I took the galeon prow off with my dremel, and fancied a new one from an Ikea plastic cap, stretched sprue and 2mm balsa. The upper deck is originally a single piece of plastic and the fit was really bad, so only the central section remains, the rest is wood again. I raised the stern with another tier, which necessitated removing the original stern gallery. The new one has two rows of windows and a much more pronounced walkway. 

The oar deck is again replaced with a gundeck. Compared to the original model's ten pairs of guns, I could cram in nineteen more per side, making a total of fifty-eight guns. Ten of these additional guns are on the superstructure, six on the elongated main deck, and twenty-two heavy pieces on the gundeck. Turns out you gain a lot more space when removing the oars.

The masts are, as usual, made from bamboo, with stretched sprue flag poles. Cloth sails and rigging will also be included, although I was thinking about building a ship "in ordinary" before starting this project.

Anyway, I really hope I can dazzle all of you with the complete ship in a little while.

1 comment:

  1. Wow the things you are doing with these galleons is amazing, and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete