Aug 23, 2020

1/600 SMS Derfflinger WIP #5

Current parts count: 71 (hull: 5, gundeck: 54, turrets: 12)


I've added a central piece to the secondary batteries, which required some sanding before I was content with the overall look of the thing. Then I cut the two ends of the lower tier of the superstructure and coated them with wood filler. When assembled, these will receive a top layer of 1mm balsa wood, in part for consistency, and also because this deck also has a visible sheer, the forward part starts at 5mm height from the deck, and it ends at 4mm.

Next I did some work on the turrets, the main pieces being made from 4mm balsa, finished using lots of wood filler, PVA and grey paint; and then I attached the brass gun barrels, which are intended for a 1/700 scale Bismarck, but fit perfectly as 1/600 scale 12" guns. I think I'll cover the turret tops with paper for a smooth surface, and then attach the commander's cupolas. I made a small stamping device with which I'll be able to add the air recognition markings on the turret tops. Also, the sides received a layer of card for the visible outlines of the armor belt.

I'm taking on this project with little increments, but this is already a lot done for the day. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment