Aug 17, 2018

The Merchant Ship sets sail


Apologies for the delay, I just had no setup to make good pictures. It turns out that the flash on my old Fuji camera is actually working, I just have to pry and keep it open with my fingers.

Anyway, here it is, with removable top masts and a small crew fit to serve a merchant vessel. All the sails except one are made from cloth, the masts are bamboo kebab sticks, which is a really awesome scratchbuilding material if you find the right quality.





It's kind of bulky and tall, but it does not look out of scale.


Most of the figures are from a recent purchase at the Drum and Flag shop (real excellent service, it's really worth it if you buy in bulk). I got a job lot of 3 boxes of Revell (Esci) Amerian Militia, which are really versatile figures, they can be tax collectors, body guards, marksmen at the fighting tops and so on and so forth. 
There is a Strelets 18th century courtier, most likely the proprietor or obnoxious captain of the ship, and two HäT Napoleonic naval gun crew, one of whom received a boarding pike instead of the cannon's rammer.


The top deck is broad enough to host small skirmishes and, more importantly, figures with a 20mm round base can move around with ease. Everything on wargaming models is a compromise of course, between historical authenticity and practicality.


I plan on building a small naval brig and a pirate ship, both will be flush decked and will be using some of the cannon from the HäT set.


Oh and while we are here, I think you did not yet see my new old car:


It's a 1997 Benz C-class, it has a few little issues because of its age, but it's not rusty and has a nice angry Diesel voice. First I planned on buying one of the 190s, which is the earlier iteration, but those have very high mileages and this was discounted on the day I bought it...

5 comments:

  1. That really is lovely. I´ve been following your build and I like the way you created the lower deck..I´ll try that.

    I like the "angry Sound" of diesel as well..only here the regulations (and possible new ones coming) make buying a diesel car too restricting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - just make sure to calculate the height of the lower deck correctly so your figures and stowage would fit. Most ships hadn't had lower decks this tall - this is another compromise we have to make because of the added height of the figures' bases.
      I did hesitate a lot to buy a Diesel but I did not regret it (checked a few gasoline versions of the same model but they were all driven to crap), it's low fuel consumption, quite reliable... although not very environment friendly I got to admit.

      Delete
  2. Another excellent sailing ship to sail the seas, Admiral.

    ReplyDelete