Jul 28, 2018

Merchant ship building, Day 3


For a ship-like object, cannon-like objects shall suffice. This is a technique I used with the previous ships as well. These are simple four-part constructions made of match stick 'wheels', balsa wood and dowel. They can be easily mass produced and look good enough.





The wheel is a small trinket I bought at the hobby store pinned to a block of balsa. I checked the anchor-like earrings and whatnot, but those were not as good.


This ship will have her gun ports closed.


Adding decorations on the stern - nothing too fancy for this old workhorse.


This last bit is added over the removable deck.


Drilling time!


The rigging will be attached to the holes.


The hull is more or less ready now, a few hours of waiting should pass for the woodglue to set before I can start priming it. You may have already noticed that I did not attend to the sails and upper masts yet, I though doing the two simultaneously will make me less bored and manage my time better.


Time to research anchors.


Just for fun I thought I would weigh the thing, it's 81 grams, so super light. It could just as well float if it were waterproof.

1 comment: