Apr 30, 2019

MIG-15 Restoration #1 - State of the Air Force


This thing spent 10+ years in the ground, who knows why? It could be that it ended up in the trash, or it was a cruel joke to hide someone's precious toy. Still, it's got a story and it's a good subject for experimentation.



At this point I cleared the surface corrosion away with turpentine, and it worked wonders. It was a nasty looking thing, like a badly infected wound, and mostly gathered around the iron screw at the belly of the jet. Which I can't remove because it's basically rusted to one piece with the body. I may just cut it off and drill a new hole for a stand.

The jet itself looks like aluminium or some sort of very light metal, and it's pitted deeply, so a lot of filler work is required before priming. I'm waiting for recommendations on good material.


I start sanding with a 400 grit and then 600 grit sandpaper, but I'll try other methods of paint removal. This is some tough stuff. It had once been green, which makes me think it was painted in Hungarian air force colours. Well, all eastern block countries had the same goose green camo.


I think the fact that it had lain in the ground and not much corrosive material could get to it helped, the rest is up to me.

1 comment:

  1. you have a back yard full of neat modeling-treasure-finds. Enjoy this challenge, Admiral.

    ReplyDelete