Feb 3, 2019

Ships for the Siege of The Rock


I've constructed and painted the bomb-ketch and a 6-gun brig for the siege of The Rock. 
There was a long progress report about how I built a multi-deck ship, it's basically the same for these. I start with a thick balsa bottom, cut out the sidewalls from decor rubber and cardstock, add some tidbits and then paint the thing. I paint the cannon separately, and on the brig I did the upper masts and sails separately as well - just in order not to ruin the paintjob on the hull.


There is always a degree of simplification on these. If I did everything completely accurately, I could not move the figures around. Just think about that they have to be put on at least 20mm bases, and there's lots of narrow spaces on a ship where someone could barely move. You see what's what, you get the basic functions and that's it. One thing I don't like however is tubby little ships that look like they were squashed from front to end. 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely. I know what you mean about adding all the accurate bits and it becoming too crowded. I nearly went along that path with my cutter but ended up not adding to much realistic rigging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul - I don't think any of these is a problem as we use the models for wargaming and not display.

      Delete
  2. Yeah it is hard to fit the details in. Often less is more, there's a sweet spot of having enough details to be satisfying but not too many to either make them difficult to game with or being so detailed that it becomes clear which details are missing.

    ReplyDelete