Nov 5, 2018

Royal Retinue


Here's a bunch of elite men-at-arms for my fantasy/renaissance project. Most of these are Perry foot knights with additions from their WoTR infantry and mounted sets, and a few Warlord Landsknecht heads. I wish there was at least another head with the crowned sallet, but this is it.

I'm doing batches of six figures which will, in some cases, eventually be filled up to a dozen and then used for Lion Rampant / Pikeman's Lament.





My evolved method of painting armor is the following: prime, wash the figure with dark brown; add a basecoat of VMC Gunmetal Grey with a dot of black in it; drybrush with VMC Natural Steel; add a black glaze; drybrush with Natural Steel, then VMC Silver; block paint the non-metallic parts, then add a brown wash and only highlight the non-metallics.

As you can see I've also experimented with the bases. The flowery tufts are made by Noch and were purchased at a friendly railroad modelling store. I should get more for the mounted figures and touch up the bases of the ones I've already completed.


Here's the King himself with a loyal standard bearer. The center flag is from a heavier fabric which I prefer. The other two are much lighter so they don't hold their shape as well.


I really like how the royal stork on this one turned out.

1 comment: