So this is how the gunboat looks like after one more day's work. I could not be bothered to use card for the upper plating so I did it with plasticard and decor rubber. Quite an improvement on the overall look I believe.
Removing the cabin roof you can see the steering wheel; right below the cabin a compass/lamp/bell thing and a small chest, probably for ammo.
The large lifeboat looks ugly at this stage, some paper soaked in PVA and green stuff on a blue foam core. The mountings holding it on the upper deck will be cut in length (they're steel rods so some blacksmithing skill is required) because I deemed them too tall, almost reaching the top of the smokestack (see 1st photo).
The 1st structure is the combat steering post (much better armored but less visibility) so it has the 2nd wheel and a smaller compass; it is also the summer sleeping place for the skipper so it has a small bed, a table, another chest covered with canvas and another wooden chest. The rear room is the storehouse/kitchen with an oven, some barrels of rum and more wooden chests.
I have added greenstuff ironings on the cannon carriage. This will also be used for the South American project so it got quite a generic look.
Since this post I've also added a second lifeboat to the aft, a flag pole and as had been said, shortened the cranes on the larger lifeboat. Next up is the painting, which, with all the removable parts, will be quite a challenge - and lots of primer will be used. Until the rear-mounted Gardner guns arrive, I will not paint the upper deck.